:: PROFILE ::
is a web developer loves to hack with curiosity 👍
ryoya.kawai (at) gmail.com
- AWS, Azure
- Docker, Jenkins, CircleCI
- CodeceptJS (E2E Test)
:: WORKS ::
Pepper is the human shaped robot who is able to move, speak, dance and so on enabled by lots of sensors, and is able to be installed custom developed applications to execute activity just like a smart phone.
Goal of this project:
Final goal of this project was to make Pepper to sing a song. However, at the beginning of the project, Pepper was not open to public so much, so the project was highly confidential. Because of that reason, the project member was only a few. And the developer was only myself. I developed the bridge to connect "VOCALODUCER" developed by Yamaha to Pepper, and developed Pepper's gesture/dance as well as pages in his/her tablet on the chest during the entire process until singing.
"VOCALODUCER" is the backend system to compose song with several parameter and lyrics.
Procedure make Pepper to sing:
- asks user to input lyrics by using tablet
- asks user to select melody and music genre from the list
- then, send request to VOCALODUCER to compose music by using parameters from user
- receives composed music as a response of VOCALODUCER
- Because at this moment, Pepper was not in the market, so almost no informations about developing applications for Pepper
- Application uses Python to develop, however to me it was the first time to use that language
- Schedule was so tight. Duration was only around 3 weeks to complete it.
- It was my first time to design human shaped robot's gesture.
Bunch of try and error was experienced during this development, however finally I succeeded both compete to develop within tight schedule. The completion was at the event venue about 1 hour before the beginning, though.
(Released Date: 2014/09/20)
POCKET MIKU (ポケット・ミク)
POCKET MIKU is the first gadget/hardware musical instruments in the world that is able to sing with voice of Miku Hatsune, and the gadget is be able to make sing a song by playing as same way as playing the piano.
My role in this project was to develop utility application to update lyrics of POCKET MIKU from browser with using Web MIDI API.
At the moment of the project, HTML5 was in early stage, and Web MIDI API was the one of the experimental web browser's API and first API that connect directly to external hardware from web browser. So this utility web application was the first web application in the world targeting for consumer hardware products that controls external hardware with using Web MIDI API.
Movements after shipment:
The most excited thing is that the source code of this utility web application was open to public at GitHub, so using that source code as a reference to develop applications for POCKET MIKU by DIY software developer, such as who loves Maker Faire for example. To develop its applicaiton gradually got be popular, and lots of demo videos for those applications were shared on YouTube.
It was such a remarkable moment for both project members and those who joined this movement.
- To develop with brand new and experimental API to consumer product.
- In the company, it was the first case to open source code to public of consumer products application.
Link to the product page:
(Shipped Date: 2014/04/03)
:: Community Activity ::
(2014/09/13 at Google Japan)
Founded this community in Sept. 2013 with awesome 5 co-foundors, @agektmr, @toyoshim, @aike1000, @g200kg, @yukio_tada. The community is grown around 200 members. I am in charge of the organizer of the community.
The word "Web Music", stands for especially mixture of Web Audio API and Web MIDI API, was invention of this community.
Web Music Hackathon:
Web Audio API
Almost all of API's demos and step by step tutorial are inside in English, 日本語 and 中文(中国大陆).
Moco for LUFA (MIDI firmware for Arduino)
Describing step by step how to make Arduino board into USB-MIDI device.
Panel Discussion and Presentations:
- "Web and Music" (Panel Discussion)
- HTML5 Conferenceを終えて (Presentation)
:: PUBLICATION ::
:: WEB APPS & MORE ::
Technical articles in blog
- Timezone Clocks for Chrome Extension
[blog] [GitHub] [Chrome Store]
- Wikipedia URL Shortener for Chrome Extension: [blog] [GitHub] [Chrome Store]
:: PRODUCTS ::
Clock face for Fitbit fitness tracker
- Change clock face from analog to digital on watch screen
- Weather information around you can be displayed on watch screen
- Configuration can be sotred in cloud
See here for more information.
(Shipped Date: 2018/05/27)
Web Music Browser
This Android app is the web browser supports to send/receive OSC (Open Source Control) message.
OSC is the protocol that are transported across the internet and within local subnets using UDP/IP and Ethernet.
Please refer this document for more API specification in detail.
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
(Shipped Date: 2016/08/01)